Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Market

We made a 7:30 date with our landlady for the Saturday morning market in downtown St. Georges. Yall know that the town is set on a serious set of hills and I think we walked up and down most of them. I took 2 egg cartons by mistake and no bags to carry stuff away in--next time I'll know. I did get the 2 cartons filled up with eggs out of a car trunk for $6ec each so that was good. The market is really big and Charmeine knows the farmers who bring their fresh picked fruits and veggies to town so we met a lot of them. I bought lettuce, bananas, okra, pumpkin, onions, and tomatoes--we got there too late for avocados. We went by the fish market and wow! what a sight! You look at all the fish, tell a woman with a big machete what you want, she uses a big stick to hit the machete & cut through the bones, then scales it with the same machete. Stuff is flying everywhere!! I try not to stand with my mouth open in amazement, but I think my eyes are huge!! It was really a great experience--next time I'm going at 6--the avocados are big and worth it!!

1 comment:

  1. I'll email you today with how to load pictures in your blog. I have to have pictures....

    ReplyDelete